For juniors planning graduate study leading to careers in government or public service
Outstanding UCLA juniors interested in a career in government or public service are invited to apply for a Truman Scholarship.
Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation will award 65 merit-based educational scholarships to college juniors throughout the United States. A Truman Scholarship
In order to be considered for UCLA nomination you must:
1) Be a junior pursuing a Bachelor's Degree during the 2014-15 academic year. "Junior" means a student who plans to continue full-time undergraduate study and who expects to receive a Bachelor's Degree between December 2015 and August 2016
2) Have demonstrated leadership ability, be committed to a career in government or public service, and plan to attend graduate school to prepare for a public service career
3) Have a 3.7 overall GPA or better
4) Be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. national
Nomination for the Truman Scholarship:
MONDAY, DECEMBER 8, 2014, by 4 PM
You will be notified via email once nominees have been selected.
You cannot apply directly for a Truman Scholarship. You must be nominated by UCLA. In order to be considered for UCLA nomination, please follow the steps below:
1) Log on to the Truman Scholarship website.
2) On the home page, click on "CANDIDATES" in the top banner.
3) Click on the "2015 Competition" in the left margin.
4) Click on "Sample Application Forms."
5) Fill out the Word version of the "sample application" and the Word version of the "policy - page 1" only. You do not need to complete the "policy - page 2" at this point. Please disregard the "sample letters" link, as letters of recommendation will be needed only if you are selected for nomination.
6) Print the Word documents of your Application and your Policy Proposal - Page 1.
7) Obtain a copy of your unofficial UCLA transcript. Transfer students should also get an unofficial copy of their transcript(s) from their transfer institution(s).
8) Make two copies of your Application, Policy Proposal, and transcript(s) and deliver both sets to Honors Programs, A311 Murphy Hall, by the UCLA NOMINATION DEADLINE: