Brain Research Institute Summer Undergraduate Research Program
The UCLA Brain Research Institute (BRI, http://BRI.ucla.edu ) sponsors a summer undergraduate research experience (BRI-SURE) program for Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC) Scholars. This program solicits applications from students in MARC training programs from universities and colleges across the nation. BRI-SURE is a 8- or 10-week summer research-training program for exceptional students interested in pursuing Neuroscience research careers. The program is designed to provide a rigorous, in-depth research experience to prepare participants for top-quality Ph.D. and M.D./Ph.D. programs in the Neurosciences.
The BRI-SURE summer program is intended FOR MARC scholars INTERESTED in the Neurosciences ONLY!
If you are not a MARC scholar, please return to the SPUR application you just completed and change the program selection to another program that accepts non-MARC scholars.
BRI-SURE selects participants based on academic achievement, leadership, and commitment to diversity. BRI-SURE seeks students from either underrepresented or economically disadvantaged backgrounds.
You must be either sophomore or junior standing. Prior research experience is also valuable. Students should be committed to pursuing research careers and either graduate (Ph.D.) or combined graduate degree programs (e.g., M.D./Ph.D.).
BRI-SURE participants are required to:
- conduct independent research for 8 or 10 weeks
- participate fully in the research lab group
- work full-time with no other employment
- attend all mandated workshops, seminars and journal clubs
- give a poster presentation at the end of the program
- submit a post-program evaluation
The 10-week program includes lectures given by BRI scientists tailored to students. We also provide training in scientific writing and poster preparation and presentation. The program participates in many of the UCLA SPUR campus wide summer activities such as the culminating summer poster day.
- $300 PER WEEK: $2400 for 8 weeks or $3000 for 10 weeks
- ROOM & BOARD: is the responsibility of the student or the student’s institution
The start date may be flexible.
10 week program: Sunday, JUNE 24 (dormitory move-in) – Friday AUGUST 31, 2012 (dormitory move-out)
8 week program: Sunday, JUNE 24 (dormitory move-in) – Saturday, AUGUST 18, 2012 (dormitory move-out)
Opening Reception (all participants): Monday, JUNE 25, 6pm - 8pm, Faculty Center
HOW TO APPLY
Please note: The deadline for receipt ofall materials is March 15, 2012.
If you are a MARC scholar, your completed application must include the following components:
- The on-line form you just completed.
- An unofficial transcript to be mailed or delivered to the URC/CARE office. There is no need to provide an official transcript.
- One letter of recommendation, preferably from a faculty member with whom you conducted research or a faculty that knows you well, to be mailed or delivered to the URC/CARE office.
- Completion of a personal statement form.
- Completion of the research summary form.
To complete your application and to download the reference letter form, the personal statement form and research summary form please go to the CARE SEM SPUR Supplementary Application site:
We suggest that you bookmark this page for future reference.
2121 Life Sciences Bldg.
621 Charles E. Young Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1606
For questions please contact: BRISURE@mednet.ucla.edu
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Dwayne D. Simmons
Associate Director, BRI Outreach
Department of Physiological Science
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1606
Phone: (310) 794-1228
Fax: (310) 206-9184