SRP 99 vs. Departmental 199 Courses

While SRP 99 courses are designed as entry-level research courses (1-2 units with P/NP grading), departmental 199 courses are upper-division research courses (usually up to 4 units with letter grading). Both courses allow you to work on an independent research project under the guidance of a faculty mentor. Students often take departmental 199 courses after they take SRP 99 courses (as a “next step”), but enrollment in an SRP 99 course is not a prerequisite to enrolling in a departmental 199 course.

When preparing to enroll in a departmental 199 course, please be aware that most departments require the following:

  • Completion of a 199 contract through MyUCLA. Depending on your department, you may be required to complete additional paperwork.
  • Commitment to 12-16 hours of research per week (usually 3-4 units).
  • Completion of a written thesis outlining your research. (This will be used to assign you a letter grade for the course.)

If you are considering departmental honors, you can complete a series of 198 courses instead of 199 courses. (Contact your department for details).