Summer Fellows Program
The Summer Fellows Program (formerly the Summer Humanities Scholars program) is for rising UCLA juniors and seniors who have a strong commitment to research in the humanities or social sciences and who are completing a comprehensive research project (or working on a departmental honors thesis) with a faculty mentor for ten weeks during the summer.
- Receive a $2,000 scholarship
- Enroll in an SRP 99 research course (2 units) with their faculty mentor for the 10-week Summer Session A. (Please note: there is no unit charge for SRP 99 units in summer. However, students only enrolling in SRP units during the summer will pay the Campus fee and IEI fee. See here for current rates. If students are already enrolled in other Summer Sessions courses, these fees will have already been charged.)
- Attend an orientation, regularly scheduled workshops, and individual meetings with the program staff. The workshops provide training in scholarly communications (writing abstracts, presenting at conferences, publishing) and professionalism (crafting CVs or resumes, preparing for careers and/or graduate school).
- Present their research at the Summer Fellows colloquium
- Submit a research paper or final project at the end of the program
Summer Fellows eligibility:
- Rising UCLA juniors or seniors (students who will have junior- or senior-level standing for fall 2017) who will be enrolled at UCLA at least through fall 2017.
- 3.0 GPA or higher
- Have not previously been awarded the Summer Fellows Program scholarship (previously known as the Summer Humanities Scholars Program scholarship).
- Commitment to working on a research project with a faculty mentor, as well as attending all program workshops and meetings.
- Superb scholarly promise in a humanities or social science major.
- A faculty mentor within a humanities or social sciences department. Click here for a list of all humanities departments, click here for a list of all social science departments. Please note: students are responsible for finding a faculty mentor for summer 2017, and this faculty mentor should submit a letter of recommendation as part of the program application.
- International students and AB540 students are eligible
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Monday, May 1, 2017 at 11:59pm.
The application consists of:
- An online application with research proposal and personal statement.The application is now available by clicking here or by going to MyUCLA --> Campus Life --> Survey. Application instructions are available here.
- Letter of recommendation from your faculty mentor. Be sure to provide your faculty mentor with the Letter of Recommendation Form. If you have any questions about finding a faculty mentor, please contact the Undergraduate Research Center.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. All materials must be submitted by the application deadline. Please contact the Undergraduate Research Center with any questions!